“One-third. That’s how much of your life you spend sleeping. One-third of a lifetime is surely a lot, which means that picking a mattress is extremely important. It’s time to shop for a new one if your mattress is completely worn out. However, choosing the right mattress is no easy victory, and can be quite time-consuming. This blog is here to make selecting between mattresses easier and less time-consuming, through helpful pointers and tips and tricks from experts. Here are the criteria that should influence your decision on which mattress to buy:
- Mattress dimensions
- Type of mattress
- Mattress firmness
- Mattress lifespan
- Customer reviews
Selecting Between Mattresses: Factors to Consider
1. Mattress Dimensions
The first step to selecting between mattresses is figuring out the dimensions of your dream mattress. A beginner would try to buy a mattress without taking measurements of their bedroom, but you won’t make that mistake. Measure your room, doorways, and hallways, along with your bed. This prevents your dream mattress from getting stuck on the way to your bedroom.
If your budget is low, a queen-sized bed and mattress would be perfect for your bedroom. These queen-sized mattresses will be perfect for you and your partner and will be priced at $100. If your budget is bigger you can look at bigger mattresses which may be more spacious. But, it is key to note that just because a mattress costs more, does not mean that it will be comfortable.
3. Mattress Type and Mattress Lifespan
Selecting between mattresses depends on the type of sleeper you are. Different mattresses offer different sleepers the most comfort and durability. Here are some of the most common mattresses carried by bedding companies.
- Memory Foam Mattress. Memory foam mattresses are soft enough and perfect for accommodating any body shape. The polyurethane foam in it makes it contour to any body shape and size. If you or your partner tend to move a lot while sleeping, memory foam mattresses are perfect for you. These mattresses absorb movement, making sure that you or your partner are not disturbed by movement and restlessness. These mattresses are best known for ease of fitting and use since they come rolled in a package or vacuum-sealed. You can easily transport these mattresses to your bedroom, and they are perfect for beds of all sizes. However, according to reviews, most customers choose memory foam mattresses for king-sized beds for utmost comfort.
- Orthopedic Mattress. Orthopedic mattresses are designed for customers with back problems, chronic pain, or surgery patients. Orthopedic mattresses are designed by orthopedic professionals to provide the most support and comfort to your body.
- Dual Comfort Mattress, There are three layers in a dual comfort mattress, and they tend to be higher in cost because of this. The layers are made of foam varying in firmness, the top foam layer is usually soft and the bottom layer is usually firmer and more durable. The fabric covering the dual comfort mattress is breathable and perfect for sleeping during humid summers. The middle layer of this type of mattress consists of a denser layer of medium soft foam, to add more comfort to sleepers. Lastly, the bottom layer of a dual comfort mattress is made of high-resilience support foam, to create a dense, durable, and firm foundation. You can expect dual comfort mattresses to come in different sizes as well.
Most mattress manufacturers claim that it takes seven years for a mattress to degenerate. If you buy a good quality mattress, it should give you a decade of comfortable sleep. After the ten-year mark, it’s time to replace your mattress.
4. Mattress Firmness
Mattress firmness depends on how firm or soft the mattress feels when you use it. The best mattress that will be most comfortable is one that supports your spine and reduces pressure points on your body. Criteria for the best mattress firmness for you are:
- Body weight
- Sleeping positions
- And so on
5. Mattress Reviews
With various verified online platforms for reviews, you can find out what other customers have to say about the mattress you’re interested in to get a feel for it. A tip from us is to pick a brand with more strengths than weaknesses and with good quality mattresses and competitive pricing.
6. Mattress Dimensions
There are usually three standard sizes of mattresses sold by companies:
- King Size (76 x 80 inches)
- Queen Size (60 x 80 inches)
- Twin Size (Either 38 x 75 inches or 38 x 80 inches)
The dimensions of the mattress you pick have to match your bedroom size and your bed. Make sure your mattress does not shrink the walking space in your room or make it feel cramped. A tip is to have at least 3 feet of space on either side of your dream mattress in your bedroom so that you can easily tuck in the bedsheets.
7. Thickness of Layers of the Mattress
Most companies sell mattresses that lie between the thickness range of 8 and 12 inches. Since this layer prevents it from sagging. the foundation or base layer of the mattress contributes to at least half of its thickness since this layer prevents it from sagging. Hybrid mattresses have a foundation of supportive layers, a middle support layer of memory or latex foam, and a top layer that’s soft for extra comfort. A suggestion from experts is to opt for a thicker mattress as it lasts longer and is more durable and cost-effective in the long run than a flimsy one.
8. Mattress Protectors
It is important to invest in a high-quality mattress protector because it protects you, your pets, your children, and the elderly from dust, allergens, and mites.
A Conclusion: Tips for Selecting Between Mattresses
We hope this blog helped you understand the nitty-gritty of selecting a mattress. The key to selecting between mattresses is having a clear idea of mattress dimensions, required thickness, and the type of mattress you want.